Pages

Friday, April 27, 2012

The first steps in a journey of a lifetime.

This "journey" of mine began about a year ago.  I read One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp upon recommendation from a friend.  I remember several times in my childhood when my mother would say, "Count your blessings."  I credit this book with challenging me to actually sit down and think about all of the wonderful things in my life.  As I started counting gifts in my life, I started to realize that most of my joy came from ordinary things like the way the air smells in the Fall, my mother's cooking, time spent with my family at the cabin, and the opportunity I have to work with such wonderful children.  I was able to make a list of about 50 things.  Nowhere near the 1000 that I had set out to do...I plan to get back to that soon.  Anyway, the point is, I realized that it was the simple things in life that made me the happiest.  Thus, my journey to simplify began.

I am not going to tell you that this has been the most wonderful year of my life.  It hasn't.  In fact, it has been one of the most challenging for me at work.  Simplicity allowed me to see His purpose in those challenges which in turn helped me insert passion into my life.  

Thank you, Lord, for giving me Your eyes so that I may see.



~Angela

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, Angela. I'm convinced that we have SO much more to be thankful for than we are able to see, but only for the lack of taking the time to slow down and do so.
    Glad you're catching on at a younger age!

    ReplyDelete