Pages

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The Power of Positive Thinking

I am a believer in the power of positive thinking.  Are you?  I believe that the more positive your thoughts, the more positive your life.  I look at my thoughts/life kind of like a self-fulfilling prophecy: What I think about an event/subject/person/job will most likely become my reality.  For example, August of last year I allowed negativity to take over my life.  It held on for 8 full months.  I sound myself complaining and finding excuses for not being happy on a regular basis.  I felt like I was failing at my job.  Why can't I reach these kids?  I had to reset my thinking, which is exactly what I did over the summer.  I moved to a different state, a different job, a different everything.  This experience could've been a breaking moment for me.  I've never been this far away from my family, my home, or the South.  These are the thoughts that could've taken over:

1. It will be REALLY cold.  I hate being cold.
2. It will be REALLY dangerous to drive in the snow.
3. It will be REALLY expensive to maintain our style of living.
4. Everyone will be REALLY mean.
5. Everyone will HATE my southern drawl.
6. I will not survive without my family being within a day of driving.
7. Everyone drinks Pepsi...boo!
8. I will miss all of my friends, and I will not be able to make new ones.

That's just a start.

Instead of allowing these ideas to become my reality, this is what happened:

1. It is REALLY cold...but put on a coat, scarf, gloves, and a hat and you're perfectly fine!
2. Yes, driving in the snow is dangerous, but everyone goes slow so it's ok.  Oh yeah, and I LOVE SNOW!
3. It is really expensive to live like we did in GA, so we just don't.  And it's fine.
4. I've yet to meet a mean person.
5. People like my southern drawl.  My students think I'm a cowgirl.  I'm way cool.
6. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.  And Skype helps.
7. Most restaurants serve Pepsi, but I should really drink more water anyway.
8. I do miss my friends, but I've made some great friends here too...and one of them has a really warm fireplace (re: #1)

What are your thoughts on positive thinking?  Does it really make a difference?  How has it changed your life?

~Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment